Day 1 Update
I lost my job for talking about women's rights
My name is Maya Forstater. I lost my job for speaking up about women's rights and gender self-ID. I am crowdfunding to…
I have been blown away by the response to my crowdjustice campaign. We set an initial target £30,000 and reached it in less eight hours.
Most of this was donations of between £5 and £25. There were a good chunk of bigger donations, and a few really chunky ones (thank you all!)
The messages of support on Twitter, Facebook, Mumsnet and on the Crowdjustice page itself as the donations came in have been amazing and have underlined to me why I am doing this. Here are just a few:
- Good luck in your litigation. I support trans rights, but am disgusted by the way this cause has been used to silence women.
- My 2nd donation. The first was anon. That was daft. #IstandwithMaya
- Good luck! I support you because I know I’d fear for my job if I spoke out as you did.
- Thank you for having the courage to stand up for women against the bullies. Good luck. X
- I may not agree with your views but I 100% support your right to express them without fear of losing your job. Good Luck.
- How can you be fired for essentially repeating the contents of a Biology textbook? Are all science teachers equally in danger? Wishing you all the luck and thank you for doing this.
- Sorry it’s not more. Donating because I feel it’s not safe to discuss this at work — and that shouldn’t be the case.
- Workplace policies are making women fearful of speaking the truth. This is a game changing case. The fight is on!
- Thank you for speaking out for so many of us who don’t feel able to.
- I don’t know if I agree with your opinion; but that is hardly the point. We must be able to talk about these things.
- As a gay man I feel it is imperative for gay and lesbian rights and safety that sex be recognised as distinct from gender. I wish Maya well and consider her extremely brave.
- Amazing courage Maya. This is so important for democracy, freedom of expression and for women’s rights
- Donating so that in future I can display my name on petitions like this.
- Thank you for being brave. I daren’t even include my name on this message but am donating what I can afford x
UPDATE ON THE TARGET
We set the initial target at £30,000 for the initial work on the case to take it as far as as a preliminary hearing. To go to a full merits hearing we will need at least £60,000. So I have raised the target.
If you haven’t donated already please do donate now, and continue to share the campaign (anyone who donates any amount will get updates on the case — i won’t inundate you but I will let you know what is happening).
The process of being investigated and losing my job was slow, lonely and demoralizing, and I am sure that the process of going to employment tribunal will be long and difficult. But knowing that I am doing it with so much support is amazing.